Church Repair and Restoration Project Overview
The Mother Church and companion Extension were constructed in 1894 and 1906 respectively to accommodate the rapidly growing Boston congregation of followers of the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy. This project will ensure that The Mother Church can continue to serve the congregation and the community for centuries to come.
Why is this project necessary?
General repair and restoration of key elements of the Churches is required from over 100 years of continuous use.
When is it taking place?
The project practically began with the replacement of The Mother Church roof in 2016 and the balance of the project will progress in phases from April 2017 until completion at the end of the year 2022.
What is the scope of the project?
Repair of underground wood piles, restoration of exterior facades, extensive roofing and waterproofing including replacement of the terra cotta half domes, bringing electrical wiring and fire alarm systems up to date, and repairing damaged plaster and paint.
What is the impact to activities?
Church services will continue throughout the project. The Original Mother Church was closed for over a year but is now open for church services and tours. The Extension will remain open until April 2021 and it will reopen in April 2022.